Video Camera Training and Workshops – London & UK
If you’re looking for my DOP work site, it can be found here.
I offer bespoke video camera training in London and all over the UK. I’m a professional freelance cameraman and director of photography based in London.
These courses are designed for beginners to intermediates (although we can progress onto more advanced skills, dependent on what you’re looking for). I’m happy to train you on any camera, my approach being that I teach skills that are interchangeable between camera setups.
I work with individuals and groups within companies; I’ve trained groups at Channel 4, The BBC, Box TV, IMG, Sky, and many smaller production companies and marketing agencies.
The types of clients I work with include:
– Individuals looking to be trained on a specific camera.
– Groups of employees, looking to gain skills to shoot videos for their companies.
– Self-shooting Producer/Directors and Video Journalists.
– Keen amateurs, looking to take their video skills to the next level.
TRAINING AND PRICING:
Rates are plus VAT:
One to One Video Camera Training (£450/day)
One on one is a great way to learn. I can give you my full attention and tailor the training to your exact needs. You might already have some camera knowledge, which means we can get straight to the stuff you want to know!
Individuals must provide their own spaces for training. I also arrange group studio days below.
In House Group Training (£700/day, up to 5 people)
I’ve trained many small groups of staff, in house, to be competent using a camera. This training is usually done in your companies offices for your convenience.
A guide of what training will cover:
- How to set up a camera and what you need to checklist before hitting record.
- Exposure. Aperture and how to control depth of field (out of focus backgrounds). Gain and ISO settings.
- Frame rate and shutter speed. What they are and what they mean.
- Getting the most from camera profiles.
- Shoot with flat Log profiles.
- Using LUT’s and grading basics.
- White balance. How to deal with mixed lighting sources.
- How to frame a shot.
- Shooting for editing. Coverage, crossing the line etc.
- Shooting with available light. How do you get the most out of each situation.
- Tripod basics.
- What sort of lenses are right for you.
- Difference between a photo and video lens.
- Effective focusing techniques.
- Different types of lenses and how they effect the image.
- Understanding focal length vs field of view.
- How to get the best sound from your camera settings.
- Different types of mic and when you might use them.
- Setting levels and monitoring sound.
Other Subjects I Can Cover
- Lighting Basics (happy to bring a few lights along)
- Best practices for filming interviews.
- How to shoot handheld/Easy Rig/Gimbal etc.
- Shooting with grip equipment – tracks, sliders, cranes etc.
- Editing (Big subject but can go over basics)
As mentioned previously, this is all very flexible. It’s about you or your staff learning exactly what they need to. I’m very happy to discuss individual requirements and advise on the best training method.
WHAT EQUIPMENT DO I USE?
In short – anything you want! I would encourage you to use your own gear if you have it. This is what you’ll be shooting on after all! I will be training you to use ANY camera – I believe in transferable skills. Every camera is basically the same, so don’t get too bogged down on what camera is hot right now. Camera tech evolves at lightning speed these days!
I own a Sony Fs7, which I’m happy to bring along. You can see my full kit here.
After training is complete, I’m always happy to stay in touch and answer any questions you may have.
“Head full of camera info and all good”
“Don worked with our Academy trainees in May 2015. He tailored the sessions to our particular needs and was engaging and focused throughout. The trainees gained an enormous amount of practical experience in the short time they had with Don, and he took the time to follow up the training with further advice for their task in hand. We were really impressed and won’t hesitate to use him again in the future” – Casual Films
“Many thanks for a great training day”
“The training was very thorough, comprehensive and worthwhile”
“Thanks again for the fantastic training and super follow up email”
“Don’s One-to-One Camera Training is excellent. Whether you’re after a refresher course, getting to grips with a new camera or a complete beginner. It was just the right mix of theory and practical”
“Really enjoyed the training – perfect for a technophobe like me who has worked around cameras for quite a long time without actually plucking up the courage to try and use one… Looking forward to putting everything into practice”
“It was great to learn so much in one day and you made it really fun and interesting so thank you!”